Sunday, February 8, 2009

Kali



In my attempts to not be culturally retarded i am taking an Indian art history course...the art of India i took to be the antithesis to anything I have experienced in my American-protestant-white-uppermiddleclass upbringing. I have returned from my second class believing we are not so different after all.

Exhibit A: the goddess Kali, pictured above, has become my new personal heroine. As you can see she looks downright badass. I consider myself a closet badasser but Kali takes it to an all new level. She kills demons and then wears her enemies heads as accessories to complement her blue skin tone. Yet despite the ferocious first impression she is also considered the nicest of all Hindu goddesses, even considered to be the mother of the universe according to our friend wikipedia. The Hindus got it right here, everyone is a big bucket of contradictions. I see nothing wrong with that. Go ahead, eat that diet donut because if you dont, I will.

If anyone gives you beef for who you are just think of Kali and stick your tongue out to the world. (get it, beef...cows are sacred in india...don't take the beef)

1 comment: